Sometimes when it feels like the world is getting to be too much, expressing gratitude for what we have can help to pull us back into the present.
It’s easier said than done when our minds feel like they’re constantly gravitating towards the negative, but, no matter how bad a day might seem overall, there are always little things that we can be grateful for throughout.
Here’s 20 little things that have made me smile recently:
- Alex kissing me on the forehead
- Finding a parking space right next to my office
- Fresh daffodils bringing some sunshine to the living room
- Relaxing into a hot bath full of Epsom salts and lavender oil
- Doing yoga when I’m not in the mood, only to find that it’s a relaxing practice today
- Eating food I haven’t had for ages and rediscovering why I like it so much
- Belly laughing with friends
- Someone kindly letting me out of a junction straightaway
- Feeling the warmth of the sun on my face as I walk across the Tyne Bridge
- A meeting being cancelled so I gained an hour of my day back
- Green light after green light as I drive home from work
- Daydreaming about where I would go if I had to money to travel
- Coming across a quote on Pinterest that was just what I needed to hear
- Finding exactly what I’m looking for in a charity shop
- Putting on my pyjamas as soon as I get home
- The wind blowing a gale outside while I’m tucked up in bed
- Making homemade soup with what’s in the cupboards and it tasting delicious
- Setting my out of office reply because I’m off tomorrow
- Closing the front door after a long week at work and knowing I don’t have to leave the house unless I want to tomorrow
- A song coming on the radio that I haven’t heard in years
Can you take inspiration from this and recognise the little things that make you smile each day?